Serta’s tips to make bed buying less awkward
When looking for a new mattress it often feels a little weird lying down in the middle of a store. Let us help you take the guesswork out of mattress shopping and make things a little less awkward with some helpful tips that’ll have you bed buying like a pro.
Before looking around ask yourself, what key factors do I need to consider and, most importantly, what bed is right for me?
1. Why do I need a new bed?
Well, first reflect on what’s happening in your life and how you’re currently sleeping. How long have you had your bed for? Does it support you like you’d like it to? OR have you moved recently? Do you now have a spare room that needs filling?
If your bed is older than 8 years old then it may not be performing as well as it used to. Wear and tear, spills, stains and bed bugs will accumulate over time which can affect your health and wellbeing. If you’re wanting to invigorate your quality of sleep, now might be the perfect time to invest in a new mattress.
There also might be other opportunities where you need a new bed like moving home or changes in the family. With a low cost and convenient boxed bed like Serta’s Perfect Sleeper, you’ll be able to meet the changing demands that life brings without the big price tag or long wait times.
2. What feel should I look for in a mattress?
Your mattress needs to function in two ways, to evenly distribute your weight and to support and keep your spine in a neutral position. This ultimately depends on your sleeping preferences and your body. A firmer mattress may work for a stomach or back sleeper and a softer mattress may be better for a side sleeper.
Research has shown that the best mattresses for back pain are medium-firm mattresses. They provide cushioning for pressure points and maintain enough support to keep the lower back from sinking. Our Perfect Sleeper mattress has been designed with a medium-firm feel to cater to most sleeping styles and body types. However, with comfort and alleviating pressure points in mind, we've created our Cloud Top to give a plushy and softer feel for those that need that extra bit of cushioning.
3. How do I know what size mattress is best for me?
Mattress size plays a key role in getting good quality sleep and choosing the right size can depend on a variety of things. For example, how many people will be sleeping in your bed with you? What is the size of the person(s) sharing it with you? Do you have kids who like to spend time in bed with you? Do you sleep with your pets on the bed? And so on. At Serta, we believe the bigger the better. For a couple, we suggest a King or Super King sized mattress is best. However, we understand that budget and room size matters, so two people should at least have a Queen.
4. What should I test out when trying out a bed?
Although it’s awkward to test a mattress in a store, it truly is the best way to get a feel for your mattress and know what you'll be getting. With Serta's Perfect Sleeper and Wool Collection mattresses displayed in-store, you'll easily get to try before you buy. Unlike some other bed options, you won't be buying blind and getting stuck with a bed you might not like the feel of.
Here are our tips for trying out a new bed in-store:
1. Dress comfortably and kick off your shoes so you can try to recreate how you'd normally sleep.
2. Are there two of you in bed? If so, try the bed with each other to make sure the mattress works for both of you.
3. Next, try out the Serta Perfect Sleeper mattress with and without a topper to see which feel you prefer most – spend a few minutes with each feel, ideally in your typical sleeping position with your partner.
4. Try it out with a pillow. Pillows account for 25% of your sleep surface and are crucial in aligning your spine. The Perfect Sleeper range has Memory Foam and Down Alternative pillows in different feels and profiles to suit your sleep style.
5. You’re ready to make the perfect sleeping decision and take home your new Serta!